Peanut & Lady "Bug"

Peanut & Lady "Bug"

Friday, June 19, 2009

"Good Morning Little Schoolgirl"

Step one of three has been completed! I have officially passed my event coordinator exam and have scheduled my case study paper for next Friday. The case study is 14 questions, but you are given a mock event to work with. You are allotted 3 hours to complete it! I am nervous, but am looking forward to being almost done. My goal is to finish by July 15th. If I can, then I am hoping to take my supervisor certification this summer as well. I think these are great programs that are recognized within the industry. I do believe this will give me an advantage later in life.

U of W continuing ed still has not posted their courses for the fall. I would like to register for at least one course. I have completed 3 of 12, plus I still have to take 6 seminars as well. My goal is to get one seminar and a course done for the fall. Then hopefully I could register for another one for winter or spring.


I have spent a good portion of the week outside of the office which I enjoyed. I attended a Manitoba Best workshop on Tuesday which is a program we offer on customer service. I have taken it before in Steinbach when I was working with Lilac in 1999. The program has made great improvements and I really left with a lot of great information.

I attended my third safety course on Wednesday. It was helpful, but the gentleman teaching was new to the course. I think he was really nervous, but he did ok. He had a senior officer with him to help when he needed, but near the end of the day she took over. I felt like telling her that if she wanted to teach the course, this poor guy could go back to his office and work. He completely humiliated him in front of the class saying one of the points he made was “bullshit”. You could see his embarrassment, especially being new to the material. I really felt she should have waited until the break to bring up the point with him if she disagreed with what he was saying.

I also spent Thursday morning at Tactica which is the company who developed our website. We were able to go through many questions and learn a few tips and tricks. Some of it was repetitive and some was stuff geared for a more inexperienced person, but overall it was helpful. Since I am fairly “tech-y”, I felt like saying “I don’t want your basic training, I want the advanced lesson”. Besides learning as I go, I have always taken advanced computer classes including advanced multimedia (and was awarded highest achievement in), CAD design, ITE, ITF, and computer science. I even took one year of the Cisco programming course. I do not need to be shown how to copy and paste into the text box……

I have a networking workshop tomorrow morning and then we are heading out to Riverton to finally see my sister and Jay’s place. I am excited to see the school where she currently teaches, the community who wrote letters to her during the wedding excitement, and of course their house. I have heard a lot about it, but now it will finally make sense. I cannot wait! We are bringing out the 2 boys, but they will stay outside. We are also dog-sitting my parents dog Meela so she will come out with us too. Joel thinks she will be fine since she is used to being outside at Lilac, but we will see. We are planning on bringing out the tent so we can stay, but have informed Sarah that we may leave Saturday night if the dogs are bad, or the weather changes.

I booked an appointment with a naturopathic doctor which I am nervous and excited for. I am hoping they can “balance” me so I have more energy and feel more like myself. I felt great when I took the natural vitamins from True Star when it was around, but have not been able to find any multivitamins that make me feel the same.

On Monday I actually was able to actually complete 9 holes of golf! I shot a 48 which is terrible but I had fun and considering this was my first game of the season I am happy with that. The women on my team are all very nice. We have a “leader” of the group who took me awhile to warm up to, but I don’t mind her now either. I am excited to improve my game and I enjoy getting out.

I am golfing in a BP tournament on July 8th. I am on a team with Korine (She was the closest to my age when I worked in the office, and who I enjoyed the most), Andrew (my old boss) and Ryan(my cousin). I am looking forward to that tournament since I can finally catch up with my old crew and have a fun day with my cousin that does not involve home improvements. That is the problem when your cousin does plastering and your husband is an electrician.
I have another seminar on Monday for “writing for the web” which should improve our electronic newsletter which I develop every month for MTEC, and quarterly for SAFE. It is a 2 hour class and I think it will be extremely helpful. I also registered for my first “webinar” for “optimizing your site for top search engine ranking” next Thursday. I like the additional education and training I am receiving here. It really does make a difference, and I am learning a lot about many different fields.


I spent a wonderful evening yesterday with my friend Dana on the patio of GG Gelati. We spent time catching up, discussing life, future plans, and our previous life at BH. Dana and I went to school together since grade one, although she was in a different class. We spent most of junior school together and became even closer when we started to play sports together in middle and senior school. (in private school we are not called elementary, junior high and high school although it is the same thing) Actually the reason I ever tried out for sports is because of Dana. I was never “the jock” prior to grade 7, but because it was something she was interested in, I decided to give it a try. I played volleyball competitively until grade 10, basketball until grade 12, doubles badminton, and almost any other sport the school offered. (with the exception of soccer, rugby and curling)

Well I am off for lunch, enjoy ~

No comments:

Post a Comment