Peanut & Lady "Bug"

Peanut & Lady "Bug"

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

It's the little things.....

I've slowly been committing to small changes towards my overall health.  It started with ditching soda altogether and replacing it with water kefir lemonade.  

Then came promising to exercise every other day in a formal way.  Not like I play with kids, coach soccer, clean the house, and mow the grass kind of exercise but I downloaded the 5k runner app and have been doing it. No excuses.  

Then I downloaded the lose it app which is amazing! It's easy to track my daily intake of food and really makes me question if a cinnamon bun for breakfast is the right choice.  It has a scan barcode option so when I need to input things like bread or frozen fruit, I just scan and go.  I measured everything at first, but now eyeball it more.  It has a section for recipes so that a serving becomes accurate and allows you to input your exercise to "win" calories back.  My goal was a weight loss so my calories represent that.

Then I became a vegan.  Easy enough really and although I would have sworn I'd miss cheese, I haven't.  It helps I purchased 2 new cookbooks and they are amazing. I love cooking and its gotten me back on track with trying new things! I make something everyday! 

Then I started using the kids plates and bowls to help my eyes see more food. 

My latest food change was inspired by B and although its a loose interpretation, I have gone wheat free.  I am eating a vegan gluten free bread from Costco (which although is dense is quite good), and I've switched to brown rice pasta.

BUT my biggest change is removing negativity in my life.  I have met any people out here, many who live a similar life to me and J.  I have always been grateful that J is willing to sacrifice this time with the kids so I can stay home.  They are only little once and although he promises to be the best grandpa around, that doesn't exactly change today.  It's not easy on either if us (some days more than others), but it was a choice we made as a family. 

 I don't feel the need to complain about it. It was a choice. It doesn't fix it, so no need for a pity party. If I do have a bad day and need to vent, its to a small group of super close friends and family. (Although I probably have used this medium before too). I really try to follow the advice of "people know your husband through you so be careful with your words".  My friends are protective of me, but they also don't know J's amazing side.  I would never flaunt that around which also means the complain train goes on without me too.  I don't want them to only hear the negative.  

The friends I've met out here aren't like me.  They use their friends like therapy.  They openly talk poorly about their husbands and some are down right resentful of them working away. I noticed I was quiet during these play dates, but that I also would end up worrying about them, their marriages, and how their kids are interrupting this as they are always playing around.  

It had to stop for my mental well being.  So I've left the "it" crowd and decided to stay to myself.  There are still a handful of close friends I have out here that I enjoy their company but gone are the days of welcoming everyone into my life. 

So for now these have been my changes....., 

No comments:

Post a Comment