Peanut & Lady "Bug"

Peanut & Lady "Bug"

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Nesting

This week is an exciting week for many reasons. The first is we are over “the hump”. I have hit 21 weeks which means I am more than ½ way to meeting our little peanut.

Our basement made huge progress this weekend as Joel removed the back entrance stairs, made an upstairs closet, and is almost done putting up the drywall in the basement. I even helped with carrying out material (garbage) to the garage, screwing in some of the drywall, sweeping, and generally trying to tidy up behind Joel. My cousin came over yesterday to see the progress and let us know when he can start taping. Joel had wired their new house for extra lights (his trade) and so Ryan will tape and sand the drywall for our basement (Ryan’s trade). Actually while Ryan was over we mentioned future plans and I was excited to hear how “do-able” they are in terms of price. It looks like we may re-stucco the house when we add the French doors as our new back entrance. This would happen at the earliest in the spring, but it is exciting to know we could do it!

We did go last week for an ultrasound which was exciting to see however they do not tell you anything about the progress. The technician told me that a radiologist looks at the pictures then sends a report the doctor to relay to me. I have a doctor’s appointment today and am hoping for the results. Although Joel came with me, they would not let him in the room for the “medical” portion of the exam which lasted between 30-45 minutes. Joel was invited in for a tour of the baby (their term, not mine) which lasted about 10 minutes. We were able to clearly see the heart beating (and all 4 chambers), the spine, and the top of the head. During the medical portion I was able to see the baby’s hand move across their face as though they were wiping their forehead. These ultrasounds require you to order the prints if you wish which I did, so Joel humored me and we have them on order. Unfortunately, they do take between 4-6 weeks. We have asked for them to be put on CD which means I can then send them to my family, as well as print as many copies as I wish.

I have started my nesting phase, which included our personal files this weekend. Joel had bought a filing cabinet for me when we got the new office set up, but I just did not have the energy to organize files during my first trimester. That changed this weekend when I went over to Staples and picked up the pieces I needed to start and finish the job. (I needed the metal piece that fits inside the filing cabinet and holds the files) 3 hours later, we have clearly labeled files and one garbage bag of junk. It felt good! This phase also included my office this morning. I reorganized my large book shelf, computer, desk and scanner. I feel much better about it, and I was able to Lysol everything down while I did it. Once it was done it made me feel a lot calmer (I was fairly grumpy this morning) and definitely more rational. This weekend I am not sure what I will be compelled to organize, but I do know something will be on the “to do” list.

I have noticed my appetite has increased especially in the morning and later in the evening. Although I am trying not to over indulge, I also know that I need to feed little peanut when they are hungry.

I had been reading books to help with the transition to parenthood. Many included preparing our dogs for the baby, breastfeeding, what to expect when you are expecting, baby sign, maintaining a healthy marriage after the baby arrives, what to expect the first year from your newborn, and the lists go on and on. I like to read so it is not a surprise that I have taken delight in reading about what we are in for. This weekend however I received a gift from my mother in law. The book was titled “The Rules of Parenting – A personal code for raising happy confident children”. Even the first few pages of this book have brought a smile to my face. It reminded me that although there is advice out there, and books on every topic, that parenting is natural. And sometimes you won’t know what to do, or say, but that is okay too. It reminded me to relax and enjoy my pregnancy (which I have been very much) and that some things will come natural. Similar to the video my mother sent me of an elephant giving birth (her baby isn’t breathing, but by kicking it the mother revives the baby elephant) I need to remember some things are instinct and will come naturally.

I have picked out Joel’s gifts for Christmas and since he does not read my blog (actually I am sure he doesn’t even know where to look for it) I can mention what I have decided. About a month ago my mom and I were in the exchange headed over to E-Children. Along the way we saw a big sale at Tod Hall Toys. We stopped in and I found many neat games, puzzles, and generally things that would interest Joel. They also had a baby section that I was browsing when I stumbled across bacon flavored jelly beans. My husband LOVES bacon and jelly beans even though sweets are not his thing that I knew I had to get them for his stocking. This was only the beginning. I found bacon band aids, a bacon air freshener, and many other bacon novelty items that I needed to buy him. So I left the bag with my mom so Joel cannot find it in the house. He has also asked for the new NHL game for Wii which I will get and put in his stocking too. Joel’s Xbox stopped working last year, but he likes playing wii. Unfortunately for him most of our wii games are mine, so he has a limited selection of games that he actually likes. I will also try and find something small that is logoed with Calgary Flames. (Last year’s theme of gifts)

My research study is going well and they have started to create an advance option with their cardio work outs. For the most part that means incorporating arms into the routines. I much prefer the workouts when we can do this because it challenges me more than some of the routines in the past. I had to do a 3 day diet analysis and need to set up a meeting to review it with a dietitian. I am looking forward to what she will have to say. Next week a volunteer will also call me to confirm my physical fitness outside of the class, and although it might not be a structured class.

Anyways, that is it for now, so enjoy ~

1 comment:

  1. If you're looking for something small with a Flames logo on it check out River City Sports...they have tons of NHL memorabilia that would fit nicely in a stocking. There are a few locations, the closest one to you is on Dakota across from St. Vital mall.

    ReplyDelete