Peanut & Lady "Bug"

Peanut & Lady "Bug"

Monday, November 2, 2009

Nights Out and Upcoming Plans

This past weekend was spent with family. Friday night was quiet since Joel had to work in the morning. We did our usual weeknight routine which consisted of dinner, clean up and reading/TV. Saturday we had planned a dinner with Sarah, Jay, Martin and Barb for Barb’s birthday. (which is today!)Sarah and Jay were in town for a comic convention (Jay, not Sarah obviously) and we thought it would be a good day to celebrate Barb’s day. I always laugh when people talk about their mother in laws, or as many are referred to “monster in laws”. I have been lucky to marry into a family similar to mine, gain a sister and Jay (Jay, what is our official relationship?) and a second set of parents that not only treat me as their daughter, but with love and respect. I have never understood how someone could marry into a family they didn’t get along with. I think that is because I am so close to my parents. We headed out for dinner to Maxime’s which I have always enjoyed. This time was touch and go, our appetizers were great, our service was good, but our prime rib was super fatty. I was disappointed, as was Joel, but we still enjoyed our meal. After dinner we headed back to Martin and Barb’s condo and enjoyed a cheesecake dessert. (Double D’s) Barb opened her presents and we stayed until 11pm talking and visiting. Joel and I were supposed to go to a social after dinner, but when we left at 11pm decided against it. Sunday we celebrated my grandma’s birthday (which is actually on Halloween) with my parents at Paladin. Although it is similar to a Perkins in feel, the food was good. I had been craving homemade fries for a couple of days and although they do not have them, I was able to order a poutine which calmed the craving.



Joel and I headed to the Dodge dealership on Saturday before dinner. Although we didn’t leave a lot of time, we did get a chance to see 2 different vans. We looked at a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan and a 2009 Honda Odyssey. I couldn’t believe the price difference between the 2 vehicles. A base model Honda was almost the same price as a fully loaded Dodge. And in all honestly Joel and I preferred the Dodge. The spacing was impressive, the sto – n – go seats were successfully put down and up with one hand (by me!) and the adjustable petals will come in handy when I am 9 months pregnant. We are going tomorrow to test drive one. We did try to test drive the Honda, but after 2 tries, the salesperson could not get one started, we decided it wasn’t meant to be.


Joel has finished closing in the basement and the dog’s room. He even wired the 3rd wall scone that we have. He will finish this week/weekend and then Ryan will start taping whenever he is free. Once that is complete, Joel and I will have someone install the linoleum for the dog’s room and I can get started on the nursery! Well actually my mom is doing a lot of the nursery for me since I am choosing not to paint myself. I should have our nursery accessories and bedding in the next 2-3 weeks! We also plan to curtain the laundry room where I cannot drywall so that it is not so scary in there.


Tonight we are attending the Dogs and Stork class offered from the Winnipeg Humane Society. The class is supposed to teach dog parents how to transition your dogs and prepare them for the arrival of the new baby. A lot of articles I have read suggested buying a doll and carrying it around (like you would a baby) so the dog learns appropriate behavior without the fear of actually hurting your baby. Basically the idea is to not set your dog up for failure, but rather correct them now so later they understand. I am intrigued by this idea, and think it is worth trying. I of course will wait to hear what the class says tonight about it.


We have also confirmed our prenatal class. We are attending the session in January through Mother 2 Mother. Although the city offers free prenatal, the classes in our area are during the day when I am at work. Once I start my maternity leave which will likely be February, I will attend any that I can. I will also attend the Happiest Baby class also through Mother 2 Mother, and Joel and I will attend the Newborn Care class. Since Joel hasn’t really taken a liking to any of the books I have suggested, I figure the least he can do is attend the newborn class which will focus on diapering, bathing, etc.


I have another doctor’s appointment in 2 weeks which I am really looking forward to. Although the ultrasound suggests I move my due date to March 20th, advice I have read (or gotten through friends of Sarah’s ~ Thank you for asking for me) suggest that you keep your due date the same. Chances are you just have a small baby. Both Barb and my mom were early from their due dates, so Sarah was the first to make a guess. Her guess was March 13th which is 3 days later than the original due date and 7 days early from the new date.

I should have my ultrasound pictures in this week and will post those as soon as I get them.

That is all for now, Enjoy ~

No comments:

Post a Comment