Peanut & Lady "Bug"

Peanut & Lady "Bug"

Friday, November 6, 2009

2 years and everything happens in 3....

On the weekend I went out with Joel’s family for Barb’s birthday. Sarah brought up an interesting fact that never really sunk in until now. 2 years ago on Nov. 2 was my first family gathering with the Hayward’s as Joel’s girlfriend! (I did meet many of his cousins, Sarah and Jay at his going away dinner, but I attended that only as a friend) At that time Joel and I had been dating for roughly 3 months and he was living in Victoria. This was the first (of many) time he came home during his 9 month stay in Vic and the first time he told me he loved me. Although my response was not typical, (I did not take him seriously) he made a point to remind me again the next morning. This was also the weekend he told me he was going to move home. We had talked for a long time about different situations to make “us” work ~ me moving to Victoria, him moving home, continuing the long distance thing, etc. Me moving to Victoria was debated at great length but not knowing anyone there, having a job that wasn't particularly transferable, and the cost of living there made that option not realistic.  At some point though we both knew long distance would have to end if we wanted to get serious.... Well serious is what we got! Joel moved home in May (mother’s day) into our apartment. We lived there for a mere 3 months before buying our house. 3 months later we got our first puppy Monster and moved into our new home together. 3 months after that in November we were engaged! (side note: Sunday is our engagement anniversary) Not surprisingly, 3 months later we had our second puppy Chaos, and were married! (although the married part was surprising in some aspects)  Moving slightly from tradition, 4 months after our wedding day we confirmed I was pregnant. On a smaller scale, Joel and I will celebrate our one year wedding anniversary and 3 weeks later (hopefully) the birth our little peanut.

I often get surprised looks when I tell our story or questions on the pace of our relationship. I never really know how to answer these inquiries except “When you know it is right, everything falls into place.” Drama is nonexistent, security and feeling safe are always there, loyalty is never doubted, and most importantly you wake up every day and wonder how you ever lived without that person before. I can honestly say Joel is my best friend, and I love him with all of my heart.  I can’t help but smile a little when people say they have been together 10 years as I let my mind wonder to what Joel and I will have done by then…….

No comments:

Post a Comment