Peanut & Lady "Bug"

Peanut & Lady "Bug"

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Full House


Pregnancy Tickers


Yesterday was supposed to be the day we could hear the heartbeat, however we did not have any luck. Although the doctor was able to find the heartbeat (it ranged from 121 – 131), the Doppler was not able to amplify it enough for us to hear. I was a little sad yesterday and worried. I had read a lot about different reasons they cannot find the heartbeat and it is such a wide variety. If your uterus is slightly tilted, if the baby has not moved up yet, if your organs are blocking the way, if your child is sleeping instead of being active, and of course miscarriage. Finding the heartbeat relieved the fear of miscarriage as more and more people are finding no bleeding or cramping. Traditionally a miscarriage would be something obvious to a mother, but with this new and every growing trend, a mother to be can worry herself sick. Basically, when an ultrasound is done, they find no heartbeat. This is a scary thought, but considering all “symptoms” are still around and they were able to hear the heartbeat (whether we could or not) made me relax a little bit. Our next appointment is September 16th and we should be able to hear the heartbeat by then. So another date to look forward to!

I was also weighed and gained a total of 2lbs since my last appointment 3 weeks ago. The doctor liked that, but also said that is probably what is causing my arms to go numb when I sleep.


I have also joined a research study on pregnant women. I will meet with a nutritionist and attend an exercise program while they monitor my weight and eventually the weight of the baby. They are studying diabetes. There is no cost to join, and it is not invasive, so I thought I would sign up. The doctor signed the permission form yesterday. (I feel like I am going on a grade 6 field trip with a permission form, but they want to make sure you are low risk)

I have been sick all week and it is awful! Being pregnant, I cannot take any medication to help my stuffy nose, sore throat or plugged sinuses. I have gone through many Kleenex boxes, and am now hoping I am on the road to recovery. I figure I have had enough days of being sick.

As some people know, our – well my – concern about the dogs and the baby is growing. I am more worried than Joel, but that’s just how we both are. I was the one worried about bringing the dogs to Riverton, and they were fine. But this isn’t a simple one day trip like Riverton. Our dogs range from well behaved to complete – well Chaos. When we were at the vet on Monday I noticed a sign for a “Baby and Stork” class which I thought would be helpful. Joel agreed that we should look into it. Apparently someone else thinks we should do this as well, as there was a write up in the paper about the exact same class the next day. I read the article and am now sure we are making the right decision by signing up. The class does not teach the dog, but rather teaches the parents rules for the dog and preparing your home before the baby arrives. The class is in September, so it gives us plenty of time to set rules and expectations early for our 2 boys.

We are getting 2 new windows today! We are replacing our bedroom and kitchen windows which were the 2 in the worst shape. Next year, we plan to replace the nursery one as well as the basement bedroom. Our plan is to replace one side of the house a year, however for the front; we may do that in stages. Our bathroom window is symmetrical to our 3rd bedroom upstairs which makes it a little too big for the size of our bathroom. Plus, we have 3 huge windows and 3 angled windows in our living room which means that side of the house will cost a small fortune. Maybe we will get lucky and hydro will offer a rebate by then…. :)

I worked at the MRFA golf tournament on Tuesday. I forgot how much I missed dealing with people every day! I set up on a hole and we did a putting contest. (yes, it was on the tee box, but for safety I did not want to set up on the green on a par 3) I had a great time meeting many people, and ran into a lot of people I once knew from Boston Pizza. By 5:30pm I was ready to go home though, (a long day for a pregnant girl to be on her feet) so I packed up and probably missed about 6 teams. When I was walking back to the club house, a super nice gentleman named Bill offered me a ride. He even took a hole off to drive me since his team was headed in the other direction. He is from Arctic Glacier. He had been at my hole a few hours previously and so when he offered me the ride, I confirmed that was the company he was with. He couldn’t believe I would remember him! I laughed and told him I will see him in 2 years and still remember him. He told me I should go into sales and it made me chuckle. What a nice man though – hard to find gentleman now a days and he was top notch! I also ran into Bob Kolt from Russell Foods. Bob is also one of the best people I have had the opportunity to deal with! When Joel and I decided to buy Martin steak knives for Father’s Day one year very last minute, Bob actually drove down to the office to hand deliver them for me at 5:30pm on a Friday. (Russell is open until 4pm I think) He couldn’t believe I left BP, but was glad to hear I still have a relationship with them. Of course there were many other guys who I knew there, Nev from Diageo who had a baby boy in May. His wife was so cute at the BP Christmas party. He is quite tiny and was all baby. Nev is the gentleman who actually called me at MTEC the first week I started to congratulate me on the new position. Again, another remarkable guy. It was fun to remember all the good people I met at BP, and am thankful for all of those relationships.

After the tournament, I picked Joel up and we headed to Martin and Barb’s for dinner. Barb had invited us over with my parents to try a few new recipes on us from a heart healthy cookbook and they were great! I have never had cauliflower cooked in the oven before, and honestly, I am not sure I would cook it any other way! It was fabulous. Cauliflower that was fabulous?! I know, but it was! We also had 40 cloves of garlic chicken which was so tasty. I am a garlic lover (as is my family) and the chicken was tender and juicy. I love going over for dinner during the week so this was a wonderful treat!

Well that is all for now, enjoy ~

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ashley-

    There are some great episodes of the dog whisperer and At the end of my leash about introducing dogs to children, and there are lots of ways to make it manageable, even something simple like walking with the stroller in front and the dogs besides you reinforces that the baby is the pack leader and the dogs should follow it.

    If your guys are getting 40 mins - 1 hour of walking a day they'll have drained off enough energy to be civil and listen to you guys when you ask them to stop being rowdy. And if you can't give them that, getting a treadmill for them to run on will help the drain their energy and keep them from being chaotic when the baby comes. If you guys work on it now, you can totally get them in control!

    Hope you're doing well =)

    ReplyDelete