Peanut & Lady "Bug"

Peanut & Lady "Bug"

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Stuck in the Middle

As you may have noticed, all my post titles have also been song titles, however that is about to change. I will be shifting into talking about my pregnancy and searching for song titles every week doesn’t sound practical, so back to normal titles we go.... but not until next week.

This weekend was relaxing and exciting all mixed together! I spent a quite Friday night with Joel watching movies we rented. I picked out Coraline, 17 again, and Obsessed. Joel is usually pretty restless when we watch movies, so it was nice that he actually watched all three with me.

Saturday I went shopping with my sister for a wedding we are attending early September. I was frustrated and losing motivation, so I’m glad Sarah came with me. I tried on multiple dresses (however only one from a maternity store as everything was so casual and the wedding is “black tie optional) and I showed in a very bad way. I am kind of “in between” right now. If you know I am pregnant, then I have a cute little bump that is firm, however if you did not know, it would simply look like I picked an unflattering dress! I am so emotional that luckily I did not cry when I tried stuff on, however that was because I kept things light with humor and showing Sarah how ridiculous I looked. We finally went into Laura/Laura Petites which is where I bought my grad dress almost 7 years ago (has it really been that long?!). With the help of a wonderfully helpful sales woman I managed to find 2 dressy tops that I could pair with my black maternity pants. I was feeling a bit better, however knowing what everyone else has chosen to wear was making me feel a little self conscious. I was telling my mom my dilemma, and sure enough the dress she wore to my wedding fits me now. And even better, you cannot tell I am a preggo! I love it and feel much better to be in a dress!

I also got my hair cut – it is now about shoulder length and it feels great! It was really dried out and looking fairly gross, so Mel fixed it for me! I like going to see Mel because I never have to answer stupid questions like “What style were you going for”. Mel knows that I trust her, I mean this is her profession and she is good at what she does, so why should I go in there and tell her what to do?! I have always been extremely happy with my hair from Mel which is not what I would say about my previous hair stylist.


I picked up Joel after shopping and we headed out to Ste. Anne for Chinese food for Mel’s birthday. This is a tradition she has done for a few years now and it is always a good time. This year because I am so tired and Joel needed to work on the basement, we just went for dinner and then headed back into the city. Normally, we would have eaten then gone to Lilac for a party at the band. Mel decided she wanted to theme her birthday (similar to Kevin’s pirate party) and suggested the 80’s! Although Joel and I did not dress up (anyone who knows me knows how I feel about dress up) there were some great costumes! Kevin even went and bought a mullet wig in his color hair. I could barely look at him without laughing in hysterics. There was of course a lot of neon, and leg warmers, however no one had a fanny pack……

I started a new book yesterday, and although I am not normally one to “review” books, this one is hilarious! For anyone who is or has been pregnant, I would seriously recommend it. It is called “Knocked Up – Confessions of a Modern Mother-to-be” by Rebecca Eckler. The beginning starts where the main character does not want to be pregnant and has “The Fear”, moves into how she interprets advice from friends and complete strangers on being pregnant, talks about her paranoia, her delusional view of her new body and discusses her complains about many of her other “symptoms” all while sticking to a three trimester schedule. Having just about completed my first trimester, and reading lots about the second and third as for what I can expect, this book brought huge smiles to my face.

Last week was a tough week in how I was feeling, and although I am feeling better in some ways, I feel worse in others. I am still tired all the time, and likely could spend days and days in bed, but I am not nauseous at all anymore. I was getting into an afternoon slump where I was feeling quite bad at about 3pm, but it seems that may have past. Slurpees – although totally not healthy or great for me/baby – have been my weakness. It is my one craving, and I get one almost every day. I figure I do not smoke, do not drink alcohol, do not drink coffee or tea, etc. that this would be ok to “indulge” in. I am eating fairly healthy and trying to make sure I get enough vegetables and fruit. My mother in law Barb sent fruit home with my on Saturday (along with chocolate covered strawberries) and I went shopping Sunday so I have been snacking on that.

I really want to go raspberry picking, but Joel is not interested. I need to find a picking partner. I know it is a lot of work, but I think it would be fun! I have not been picking since I was a little kid and I probably ate more than I picked. :)

Well that is all for now ~ 8 days until we can (maybe) hear the heartbeat! They are going to try and find it at my next doctor’s appointment which does not always work, but I’m excited for the experience.

Enjoy~

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you found/have a dress that you feel good in! You look great and really are glowing with the anticipation of the little one. This stage will be the hardest body wise, in no time at all there will be no question that you are preggo! If you want to go raspberry picking I would be in, I mentioned it to Jay (a while ago) and he tried to appease me by say he would go, but not his thing, plus I still have free time in my life!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! You're going to be a mommy blogger- can't wait! I'll be reading! =)

    ReplyDelete