Peanut & Lady "Bug"

Peanut & Lady "Bug"

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Welcome Maddison Alexandra Hayward

On Saturday June 25 2011 we welcomed our second beautiful girl into the world! She was born at 11:41am and weighed 8lbs 1oz.  She was 20.5 inches long.  Here is her birth story.....

At 4:30am Mika woke up and was up for the morning so we headed downstairs, shared cuddles on the couch, played a bit all while I had minor contractions.  I had braxton hicks for weeks so this was nothing new. I figured by nap time they would be gone and Mika and I would continue our day. 

At 5:53am I texted Joel our good morning message and told him I was having a lot of contractions, but that nothing had changed yet, so to keep working. He messaged back that he would work on the surface for as long as he could so I could reach him.

At 6:51am I put Mika down for a nap. I texted him that I was still having contractions and that I was going for a bath.  I was pretty sure at this point "today would be the day", but to keep working until he heard from me.  I told him if I still had contractions in an hour I might call the midwife to let her know I was in early labour.

After my bath, I went into our room and took a nap. I was woken up by contractions, but enjoyed at least some time with my eyes shut.

8:20am I messaged him contractions were still happening, and that I wasn't sure what to tell him to do. They weren't getting worse in my opinion. Mika woke up and I gave her a bath. I decided I needed help watching her so I would go to my moms.

At 8:30am, Joel messaged that he had to go underground, but that he would come up as often as he could to check his phone.

At 9:44am I messaged him that today would be the day and he should pack up at lunch.

At 9:47am I changed my mind, called Joel and told him to come home now.

At 9:56am I messaged my father in law to tell him Joel was on his way home and Mika was at my mom's house with me. (I was supposed to bring Mika to their place for a play date with Grams and Grumpa) I took a shower and continued to labour at my parents.

At 10:52am I called my midwife to tell her to meet me at the hospital.

At 11:05am we finally left my mom's after having many contractions in the hallway to the van. My aunt helped me walk to the car while my mom pulled up to the front doors.

11:25am I called Joel from the labour lounge. I had been registered, but not checked yet at triage. I was waiting for a bed to be clean. I started to have a contraction that I couldn't talk through, so I handed the phone to my mom.  They cleaned a bed and I headed into triage while I asked my mom to find out where Joel was.

In triage, she asked me to step on the scale. I refused and told her I had the urge to push.  She put me on a bed immediately, checked and realized I was fully dilated and effaced.  It was time to push! She called emergency, while I was breathing through contractions. My mom came with us into a room and they transferred me onto a bed. The midwife Fleur who was on call that day came into the room with literally no time to spare. She directed me on pushing and at 11:41am I welcomed Maddison into the world.

At 12:30pm Joel came into the room expecting to see his wife pushing, however the room had been cleaned and I introduced him to our baby girl.

Now I realize what you must be thinking - my biggest fear happened, but in all reality it couldn't have worked out any better.  You see, it was really up to me to tell Joel when to leave and when I did, he left. He came as quick as he could (he made it to the hospital in 2.5 hours when Bissett to the city is a 3 hour drive!) and kept checking on me. Labour wasn't drawn out in a hospital which is where I didn't want to be alone, and I had my mom with me during delivery.  Mika stayed with my uncle Ed and dad, and my dad even managed to put her down for a nap!

That evening we had a few visitors including a very proud big sister. Mika has been amazing, very gentle, and loves giving her sister hugs and kisses.  She is adjusting nicely and we are all settling into our new routines as a family of 4.


2 comments:

  1. You have a crazy story to tell, it all happened so fast! So glad Mika is such a great big sister. in 12 years or so I expect Joel to be sitting on the porch with a gun scaring Mika and Maddy's potential dates away!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Ashley and Joel, she's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete