Peanut & Lady "Bug"

Peanut & Lady "Bug"

Friday, April 8, 2011

It's the little things

Having Joel home means having a house that is closer to completion in terms of renovations, but it also means there is more "stuff" out.  What do I mean?  Well for example Joel often leaves his dresser drawers open after he pulls out clothes for the day, or will leave his orange juice cup from the morning on the counter, or his closet door open.  These little things could drive a person crazy.... or better said these little things could drive ME crazy.  I know they are little things, things I shouldn't worry about... I have bigger things to focus on, to care about and yet I still find myself wondering how many times I will have to ask him to close his closet before it actual ever gets done.  Or if I will spend everyday just closing it myself to save the trouble.......

But in positive renovation news, I have a pantry that is 95% complete!  It needs a handle on the door (the one that came with the door did not meet Joel's standards) and shelving in the back of the closet, but then it will be done!  I can't wait to organize it and clean up the other shelving unit that we had in our kitchen for storage.

Joel also managed to complete the ceiling tile in the basement which means once there are baseboards, that room will be completely done.  Baseboards, in typical Hayward fashion are not installed until you are putting the house for sale, so maybe I will get them next year......

Joel is already planning his next renovation project which is causing me to wonder what our long term plans are, but I guess we'll deal with that after the summer.  The back landscaping needs to be dealt with before we can sell, adding a deck, leveling out the yard and re pouring the back walkway so he will start that once it has dried up a bit.

Baseboards upstairs are being installed by my parents - thanks guys! My mom even made dinner for us yesterday while they worked.

Joel has 2 more weeks at home but I think he is starting to get anxious to return to work already.


In baby news, I am waiting patiently for my little niece or nephew....

In personal baby news, I have hit 30 weeks!  This scares me to death as I feel unprepared and yet I know I am. (in terms of things, the room, etc. I am organized and prepared, it is more of a mental unprepared thing) I guess it is just different than with Mika, since I now am so focused on her I have a hard time focusing on this pregnancy/baby the same way.  I remember my first pregnancy going so slowly and this one has flown by!  I read today that 34 weeks for a second pregnancy is usually considered full term and not uncommon.  To think that in as short as 4 weeks, I could have a newborn panics me so I prefer to think of 10 weeks......  I only have 2 weeks left of work as of yesterday which I know will help me mentally prepare for this baby and make me feel more at ease.

Joel's schedule is still a little unknown but it looks like he will be away for our due date.  He will only be a 2.5 hour drive away so I am not worried.  (although my midwife is) I will call Joel when I start labor and he will drive in.  If things are progressing fast, he will just meet me at the hospital.  In all reality he will make it home before I even leave the house. Or in an ideal world this is what will happen.  My parents are on Mika standby, but if I need to go to the hospital before Joel gets there I have asked my mom to come with me so I am not by myself.  Of course if I go into labor on a Friday or Saturday it makes more sense to call Martin and Barb to see if they can watch Mika, but that's up to Bug. 

Having Joel home means I get some nights off, or at least help during them.  It also means I have at least one morning a week to sleep in since Joel will take her downstairs to play.  I am growing everyday and ready to stop... I am feeling huge.  Especially when it means carrying Mika for an extended period of time or playing with her on the floor.

Mika has a mind of her own these days (like she didn't before - ha!) and only wants to eat what Joel and I are eating.  This makes it easier in some ways and harder in others.  Some things I'm just not prepared to share with her yet... Joel and I eat a lot of spicy food and I'm not sure my little peanut could handle the same level of spice we like to cook with.  She runs wherever she wants to go and is too stubborn to listen to the word "no". (even though she clearly understands the word and the meaning)

Well that's what's happening in our life right now, enjoy ~

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are waiting paitiently, me not so much, i am starting to feel like and elephant!
    As for joel and his little things, good luck, it took mom year, and years, and years to get dad to do these little things, maybe just close the closet yourself, it might cause less frustration :).
    Mika makes me smile, she has such a personality! She will so be the leader of our little pack at every family gathering!

    ReplyDelete